Friday, December 30, 2005

It keeps growing...and growing...and growing...

Since I started working from home, I find that I don't get nearly as much exercise than when I had to go into work and walk around talking to people all day. There were stairs in my old place of work too, and I had to use them regularly.

We live in a two-story house with a half-bath downstairs and two full baths upstairs. For the first couple of months of working from home, I had to go up the stairs at least a couple of times a day to go to the bathroom because the half-bath toilet was broken.

Now, however, since I finally got motivated and fixed the downstairs toilet, I don't even go upstairs at all during the day.

Also, since I'm at home all day (when I'm in town) I find that the refrigerator and pantry have formed a bond and like the call of the Sirens, lure me into the shipwreck that is overeating. "Ice Creammmmmmmmm...Cinnamon-sugar toooooast...Chocolaaaaaate... Coooooookies...” you get the idea.

So, here I sit, watching my stomach grow larger and larger; my ability to cope with the lure of the kitchen growing less and less.

It's even worse when I'm out of town. I get paid a per diem for meals that is much larger than I would normally need. But, like Mount Everest, it is there, so I tend to conquer it every day. I even stay in hotels that usually have workout rooms...but the lure of the bed and HBO keep me anchored in my growing body, wallowing in my personal sea of fat.

My wife has been recently motivated. She's bought us a family membership to the local health club. It’s exactly one mile away. Her motivation for going is to be around for my son and me for more than four or five more years. And also to relieve the horrible foot pain she endures every minute of every day. However, I'm a man. I am invincible. Hear me ROAR! ... No, wait...wrong gender-quote...

I am a man and prone to believe that I will live forever. Nothing can get the best of me. What are a few extra pounds to carry around? I could lose it any time I want! Well, I wish I could be as altruistic as my wife. Her spouse and child reason should be motivation enough.

Maybe I just need to get fat enough so I finally realize that growing and growing and growing is not a good thing. Of course, by that time I imagine I'll be as big as a small boat, shipwrecked on the rocks...taking much longer to repair than if I would have just started exercising yesterday...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been very difficult for me not to hound you on a daily basis (4 days to be exact) to come to our new fancy-scmancy health club, cuz I really want you to. But I also don't want to "herd" you into doing anything you don't want to. I used to not really think about what you wanted or didn't. You always seemed so agreeable to everything. Please take care of yourself for Conor, not for me. Of course, you are our meal ticket. I'm kidding! (even though you are!) I love you to the moon and back! I am way fatter than you!

December 30, 2005 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home